Did you know that between now and the end of 2013 the European Commission will be investing over €70 billon in developing the creative economy across Europe – the world of arts, culture, heritage and the creative industries?
In the latest addition of Heritage Outlook, our Head of Cultural Development Gráinne Millar outlines the reasons why the cultural and creative industries in Ireland need to start paying more attention to what is going in on Europe and the member states if we are to stay ahead.
Since her appointment to the EU expert group on cultural and creative industries earlier this year by the Department of Arts, Heritage and Gaeltacht it has been become increasingly clear that Ireland needs to build its creative economy – and fast.
Read the full article here.
Follow Heritage Outlook online at www.heritagecouncil.ie
TBCT’s Head of Cultural Development Grainne Millar will be a guest speaker at this year’s Irish Museums Association (IMA) Annual Conference. Taking place in the Drogheda Arts Centre, Co. Louth from February 25th – 27th, the conference brings together curators, directors, and museum, arts, and culture personnel from Ireland, the United Kingdom and Europe.
The conference aims to explore, inform, inspire and share on the theme on sustainability and museums. The current local and international issues in finance, and arts and heritage funding in the museum sector provide the backdrop for a conference that offers opportunities to hear new and up-do-date information and ideas for you (and your museum), as well as networking with colleagues across the sector.
The list of guest speakers over the weekend include:
- Rachel Madan (Greener Museums and author of Sustainable Museums: Strategies for the 21st Century)
- Eamonn McEneaney (Director, Waterford Museum of Treasures)
- Ole Winther (Head of Museums Office, National Heritage Agency, Denmark)
- Samuel Jones (Policy Fellow at the UK’s Department for Culture, Media and Sport and Head of Culture at DEMOS)
- Stuart McLaughlin (Chief Executive, Business2Arts, Dublin)
- Izabella Csordás (Head of Visitor Services Department, Museum of Fine Arts, Budapest, Hungary)
- Grainne Millar (Head of Cultural Development, Temple Bar Cultural Trust, Dublin)
- Dr Hugh Maguire (Director, Hunt Museum, Limerick)
For further info log on to www.irishmuseums.org/annual-conference